Year: 2010

Area: 175 sq. m. = 1885 sq. ft.

Lower Level: 59 seats & Upper Level: 32 seats (Total 91 seats)

Contractor: M/s Oddjobs, New Delhi

Electrical Engineer: M/s Gian Consultancy Services

This independent Lecture Hall building was built on the rear as an annex of the Institute building. It is a corner plot on a road parallel to Mehrauli-Badarpur Road facing the hills. Batra Hospital is nearby. This Institute was formed in 1945 with headquarter in Calcutta.

The architect Sunil Kumar Day took this challenging job and the Lecture Hall is now functioning on daily basis after being a locked-up property for around 20 years. The Lecture Hall has two levels of spectator seating but below the balcony the clear headroom is very low and above the balcony there is excessive head room with a RCC roof. There was no reasonable ‘sight-line’ from both seating levels to the stage. Due to these reasons of existing site conditions, the client (a Building Committee) had made up its mind to demolish the balcony. However, Mr. R. K. Gupta who was coordinating in the project on behalf of client was very cooperative and open to suggestions of the architect.

The architect decided against demolition of the balcony and has retained it to provide the extra spectators as well as a small store and AVL room. The necessary ‘sight-lines’ have been achieved by re-configuring the balcony from the approach level foyers. Foyers and toilets on both levels are part of the main building outside Fire Staircase was added for all levels and 2 hrs fire rated doors were added on both floors. In fact the architect had suggested adding a back stage and green room too. But due to cost constraints the Building Committee did not accept the designs in totally. Due to shortage of funds the client opted for wall split units against the advice of duct A/c system by the architect Sunil Kumar Day. Laminated wall panels over acoustic treatment and vitrified tiles on the floor reflect the tight budget of the client. The false ceiling is of MFT and Gypsum Board. The ‘Building Committee’ procured Auditorium furniture on its own to save on overheads of the contractor.